Act of violence

A few weeks ago, my cousin suggested we watch Mardaani, the latest movie staring Rani Mukherji. Having viewed a few of the posters of the film, I presumed it would be all too violent. A woman trying to become a man to survive. Rather reluctantly I found myself buying tickets to the show and yes, I was right, the film was violent. But what I also saw on screen was a woman who was thankfully not trying to cut her hair and look more like a man (Rani has donned a role of a male in the past and flopped miserably) Won't blame you if you don't remember her role in Dil bole hadippa.

This movie was different. A slick production, a relatively new cast. There were scenes in this new film that had me cringe in my seat. Some of the revenge was of course predictable as with most Hindi films. Apart from all the regular bits were moments of complete helplessness carried out with acute depth. I'm no Anupama Chopra but in my view, the film broached a lot of uncomfortable topics in a modern Indian woman's life. The lone battle for justice. The threats from goons.

Though Rani did a convincing role, I didn't buy the idea that a woman officer like Rani could exist in today's real world. I hope I am wrong. Perhaps the film director is putting it out there like fodder for the masses. That women may take up these tough roles. We ought to. But don't get me wrong, I'm not for a moment suggesting we take up guns and go on a rampage.
That's the point in the film where I felt a little sensitivity was needed. One cannot take the law into one's hands. It is simply wrong.

The villain was also a refreshing role played by a newcomer. He didn't have oodles of make up and still had dark moments at many points in the film.What's more he was an average middle class guy. With a sinister hobby.

Why does this warrant a blog post, you may wonder. I am not just a writer but also a mother. For me violence towards children is particularly bothersome. It should ideally bother more people but we aren't so worried about the most vulnerable in our society. It horrifies me to know that children are bought and sold without a second thought. Their innocence denied. Their very existence questioned.

What could mere mortals like us do? Well, we could speak up. We don't need to resort to violence but yes we could let our voices be heard. So what if you haven't given birth to a child? I don't have the answer.

Perhaps like the ALS ice bucket challenge we can come up with something creative to generate publicity on sex trafficking. Wishful thinking. I bet ice bucket challenge haters thought so too. At last count, the drive had collected a significant amount in donations.

We can do a lot. All it takes is determination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seafood with a lot of soul

Meet the quirky director of Fanney Khan

Breaking News