Christmas Eve at the parlour


There is usually a crowd in here. But it is exceptionally busy on Christmas eve. Women of all ages rush in to look their best barely a few hours before Christmas. You've probably witnessed the trend, the world over.

She sits behind me. I cannot see her face. I can only hear the nagging voice arguing with the hair stylist. "No, I want it shorter. I have a four month old baby. You know I wanted to shave my head off. I, I, I." No kidding. This is actually what I hear. 

It is a real blessing that the women from the Phillipines who run the beauty parlour I am in, have the patience that they do. Miles away from their own families, they have to work every day plus a half day on Christmas day as well. To add to their woes there's an unending sea of women who believe that it is their right to argue and bicker about every Dirham spent.

I sit and wait patiently. For my hair to transform itself. I feel lucky that I could cross the road and attempt to look decent for Christmas. It is a few hours away from all the chores. I feel fortunate my family is close at hand. Why can't we empathise with those whom we can see aren't as lucky? Perhaps I am reading too much in to this.

The cackle continues. "I have a party to go to at two." I now know everyone's schedule for the day. Another lady is trying to outshout the hair dryer by explaining her shopping list to what one can assume is a disinterested (or deaf) someone. I am being ignored. Should I too kick up a fuss and demand to be attended to? After all I made this appointment a week ago.I count to 10 and remind myself that all of this too shall pass. Meanwhile I can hear Pharrell Williams 'Happy' playing faintly in the background.  

The women who run the place speak in their own language, often grumbling and smiling, while most of the customers are oblivious to what they must be thinking. 'Atte' (sister) is all I can understand. I make it a point to wish all of them a Merry Christmas knowing the small tip doesn't measure up to much. The gesture of acknowledging Christmas does.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seafood with a lot of soul

Meet the quirky director of Fanney Khan

Breaking News